[Bioc-devel] file registry - feedback

Valerie Obenchain vobencha at fhcrc.org
Tue Mar 11 18:08:35 CET 2014

Hi,

On 03/11/2014 09:47 AM, Michael Lawrence wrote:
> Except for the checksum, the existing File classes should support this,
> where the package provides a dataset via data() that is just the serialized
> File object (path). One could create a FileWithChecksum class that
> decorates a File object with a checksum. Any attempts to read the file are
> intercepted by the decorator, which verifies the checksum, and then
> delegates.

Neat. Sounds like this is worth pursuing.

> Michael
>

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 8:53 AM, Vincent Carey
> <stvjc at channing.harvard.edu>wrote:
>
>> I'm going to suggest a use case that may motivate this type of development.
>>
>> Up to 2010 or so, data packages generally made sense.  You have about
>> 100-500MB of serialized or pre-serialized stuff.  Installing it in an R
>> package is unpleasant from a resource consumption perspective but it works,
>> you can use data/extdata and work with data with programmatic access,
>> documentation and checkability.
>>
>> More recently, it is easy to come across data resources that we'd like to
>> have package-like control over/access to, but installing such packages
>> makes no sense.  The volume is too big, and you want to work with the
>> resource with non-R tools as well from time to time.  You don't want to
>> move the data.
>>
>> We should have a protocol for "packaging" data without installing it.  A
>> digest of the raw data resource should be computed and kept in the
>> registry.  A registered file can be part of a package that can be checked
>> and installed, but the data themselves do not move.  Genomic data in S3
>> buckets should provide a basic use case.
>>
>> The digest is recomputed whenever we want to start working with the
>> registry/package to verify that we are working with the intended artifact.
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 11:11 AM, Gabriel Becker <gmbecker at ucdavis.edu>wrote:
>>
>>> Would it be better to let the user (registerer) specify a function, which
>>> could be a simple class constructor or something more complex in cases
>>> where that would be useful?

Yes, good suggestion.

>>> This could allow the concept to generalize to other things, such as
>>> databases that might need some startup machinery called before they are
>>> actually useful to the user.

The intent of the registry was to provide a way to lookup files by their
extension. I'm not sure how this applies to the database example. Do you
envision creating multiple databases throughout an R session (vs a
single set up at load time)? For example if the file has type 'X'
extension it becomes a type 'X' database etc.?

>>> This would also deal with Michael's point about package/where since
>>> functions have their own "where" information. Unless I'm missing some
>>> other
>>> intent for specifying a specific package?
>>>
>>> ~G
>>>

>>> On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 5:59 AM, Michael Lawrence <
>>> lawrence.michael at gene.com

>>> through
>>> the
>>> is
>>> that
>>> was

>>> File
>>> method

No, I don't want to force the 'List' route. I was using them in
GenomicFileViews so that's what I registered. The 'class' should be any
class that has a constructor of the same name. Thinking about this more
the 'class' probably should be the individual File object instead of the
List object. Coercion to List can be done inside the helper.

>>> and

I'll look into this.

Any comments on whether this should be it's own package or in an
existing one?

Thanks for the input.
Valerie

>>> spirit