[Bioc-devel] edgeR estimateGLMRobustDisp Fails when Called From A Package

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Jun 27 01:32:42 CEST 2014

> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 04:00:11 +0000
> From: Dario Strbenac <dstr7320 at uni.sydney.edu.au>
> To: "bioc-devel at r-project.org" <bioc-devel at r-project.org>
> Subject: [Bioc-devel] edgeR estimateGLMRobustDisp Fails when Called
> 	From A	Package
>
> Hello,
>
> I am writing a package that has a function that uses estimateGLMRobustDisp, leading to an error :
>
> Error in dispBinTrend(y, design, offset = offset, method.trend = "loess",  :
>  could not find function "loessFit"
> Calls: edgeRselection ... estimateGLMTrendedDisp -> estimateGLMTrendedDisp.default -> dispBinTrend
>
> I import estimateGLMRobustDisp from edgeR in my NAMESPACE file. This
> error is because edgeR depends on limma, rather than importing from it.
> I want to avoid using parent.env<- and .onLoad to get around the
> problem. Is there any hope of modifying the edgeR description file to
> have limma in the Imports field ?

Nope, because that is neither necessary nor good programming practice
(according to R core).

I will however add loessFit to importFrom() in edgeR's NAMESPACE, which I
think will solve your problem.

Best wishes
Gordon