[Bioc-devel] Please help us try out our new support site!

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Tue Aug 19 02:38:01 CEST 2014

Hi,

So CodersCrowd looks like a pretty neat tool.  But here what we are
trying to accomplish is something that is less ambitious. Basically
there are a host of problems that crop up from using a mailing list at
the scale that we currently use the main bioconductor mailing list.  And
here we are hoping that our new support site will help out with some of
them.  To give you an idea about what we were thinking here I will list
just a few of these problems (in no particular order):

1 - Scale:  With 3500 subscribers to the bioconductor mailing list,
there is a lot of traffic.  This means that a lot of people will either
only guess post or they will post and then immediately unsubscribe.
This basically means that a lot of the people who could most make use of
this information are currently having trouble getting access to it.
Having a web site means that we can make sure these questions (and their
answers) are easily search able and can be read by anyone.  The other
side of this change is that if you are carefully answering questions,
that your well earned reputation and your careful answers should now
find a wider audience.

2 - Repetition:  A lot of times the same questions get asked over and
over again.  This is bad for everyone, but is especially annoying for
our package authors who sometimes have to spend a lot of their time
answering the similar questions over and over again.  Our hope is that
by capturing your responses into a search able format the 1st time more
users will be able to discover your hard work and thus benefit from it
later on.

3 - Mistakes:  Sometimes some spam or something embarrassing will get
through.  And with mailing lists everything that happens is written in
permanent ink.  We would rather that we were able to delete spam from
the public record and that when appropriate you were able to amend
statements so that they better reflected what you intended.  It's also
our hope that by amending your answers to questions, you can keep your
answers current instead of crafting new responses from scratch each time.

Anyhow, those are just some of the problems that we were hoping to
address.  I hope that the new site helps with these.

  Marc