[Bioc-devel] package download statistics

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Tue Apr 23 20:26:42 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 04/23/2013 10:39 AM, Martin Morgan wrote:
> On 04/21/2013 10:45 PM, Steffen Neumann wrote:
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> On Fri, 2013-04-19 at 11:51 -0400, Robert M. Flight wrote:
>>> The reason is alt-metrics. I thought it would be cool to have a little R
>>> package that takes a supplied Bioconductor package name, and compares
>>> its
>>> download statistics to the download statistics for all the other
>>> Bioconductor packages, essentially providing a percentile ranking.
>>
>> ... and if you *then* use BioC Views to sub-categorize that,
>> this would be very cool!

As a first step, we could make the count data available as a
tabulated file, or an .rda file (with 2 serialized matrices in
it). Would cover the last 5 years and have 1 row per month.
Would be updated twice a week (like the HTML report itself) and
available thru a permanent link. I don't expect the file would
be too big, probably < 10Mb (it's just the counts, not all the
hits). Then anybody could do whatever they want with it e.g.
write a little R package that does stats on it.

> These counts are currently total downloads, rather than from distinct
> IPs, and are grossly inflated. They are based on scrapping web logs and
> these sometimes have additional problems. The counts will be updated to
> distinct IP downloads (available on individual package pages) in the
> near future; maybe there will be some interruptions as that gets
> implemented.

Just to clarify, both counts (total downloads, and distinct IPs) are
already displayed. The proposal is to make the latter the primary count,
in particular to generate the top-30 based on it.

Also someone asked to use a log scale on the y-axis. This is done
today:

   http://bioconductor.org/packages/stats/

(The crazy range on the y-axis will be corrected next time the stats are
generated i.e. on Friday.)

Cheers,
H.

--