[Bioc-devel] supported platforms

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Tue Oct 2 18:33:40 CEST 2012

Hi Thomas,

Just to mention that I've seen some packages on CRAN and Bioconductor
put:

   OS_type: unix

in their DESCRIPTION file. This is recognized by 'R CMD check' (and
maybe by 'R CMD INSTALL', I didn't look at the official documentation
for this) which will then fail when someone tries to run it on a
Windows machine. Might be worth adding this to your package (in
addition to the things Dan mentioned). Thanks!

H.

On 09/28/2012 12:59 PM, Dan Tenenbaum wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Thomas Sandmann
> <sandmann.thomas at gene.com> wrote:
>> Dear BioC developers,
>>
>> I have just been notified that a dependency of my 'gCMAP' package, which
>> was accepted for release in Bioconductor, has changed and does not support
>> Windows any more.
>
> Which dependency is this?
>

>> Is there anything I need to add to my package (e.g. the DESCRIPTION file)
>> to indicate that it will only be available for Mac / Unix platforms ?
>
> You do not have to add anything to your package. You can mention in
> the documentation that the package is not supported on windows. The
> package home page on the bioconductor web site, which is automatically
> generated, will show that there is no binary for windows. And for
> windows users, biocLite("gCMAP") will tell them that there is no such
> package.
>
> You can optionally add a README file in the top level of your package
> explaining the situation. The package home page will contain a link to
> this file.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan
>

>> Thanks,