[Bioc-devel] BiocParallel

Ryan C. Thompson rct at thompsonclan.org
Mon Nov 19 02:20:49 CET 2012

On 11/17/2012 08:38 PM, Michael Lawrence wrote:
> You can use mclapply via parLapply using the fork backend.
Oh, well, that's new to me. I guess that was added when multicore and
snow were merged into the parallel package? If that's so, then parLapply
is perfectly fine to use. However, I will note that foreach also has
several other specialized backends, including a "null" backend that just
runs things serially in-process, which means that in addition to
switching parallelism types, one can also turn parallelism on and off at
will without changing the code.

In any case, I'm not trying to say that foreach is the best solution for
the future, and anyway foreach should automatically be able to use any
parallelism method that is usable by parLapply.