[Bioc-devel] friezed pop-up windows in affylmGUI

rcaloger raffaele.calogero at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 10:09:44 CET 2012

Hi,
I am the maintainer of oneChannelGUI. I am observing a strange behavior
of pop-up windows generated by my package and by affylmGUI.
For example if I execute the set working directory command under
affylmGUI from affylmGUI menu or by as line command: SetWD()
and I repeat it 10 times I get at least ones that the pop-up window
freezes and I cannot delete it or writing in it, unless I maximize the
pop-up window and then I can see, in the upper-left corner of the
screen, the regular window and I can interact with it. It seems like
that tcl window every sometimes opens up not in the right screen
coordinates and, unless you visualize it on full screen, you are unable
to interact with it.
This is quite erratic but frequent event, not only for the SetWD()
function but in general for tcl windows in affylmGUI and oneChannelGUI.
I tried to see if something like this happen also in the example of
tkWidgets but I could not obtain the behavior I observed in the above
mentioned packages.

I have observed this criticality only in windows 7 and never in linux.
This suggests me tha tthe problem might be linked to the tcl/tk
libraries embedded R windows installation.
I would like to see if the problems I am observing are also present in
case an external version of tcl/tk libs is used. There is any command to
force R to use external tcl/tk, e.g. and installation of active tcl/tk?

Any suggestion to solve the problem I encountered is very welcome, since
the use of the interface is getting very boring if you need to maximize
pop-up every sometime.

Cheers
Raffaele

  P.S. I observed the problem on a locally compiled version of R under
windows and also downloading the latest R 2.14.1 for windows
 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.14.0 (2011-10-31)
Platform: x86_64-pc-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=Italian_Italy.1252  LC_CTYPE=Italian_Italy.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=Italian_Italy.1252 LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=Italian_Italy.1252

attached base packages:
[1] tcltk     stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods
[8] base

other attached packages:
[1] affylmGUI_1.28.0 affyio_1.22.0    affy_1.32.0      Biobase_2.14.0
[5] limma_3.10.0

[1] BiocInstaller_1.2.1   preprocessCore_1.16.0 zlibbioc_1.0.0

Prof. Raffaele A. Calogero
Bioinformatics and Genomics Unit
MBC Centro di Biotecnologie Molecolari
Via Nizza 52, Torino 10126