[Bioc-devel] os x binary

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fhcrc.org
Fri Nov 18 01:04:16 CET 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Kasper Daniel Hansen
<kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Dan Tenenbaum <dtenenba at fhcrc.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Kasper Daniel Hansen
>> <kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> So the binary version works on Leopard but not on Lion (if I
>>> understand you correctly).  Building from source works on Lion.
>>> Doesn't this tell us that there is something wrong with the binaries?
>>
>> Yes, your understanding is correct.
>>
>> It does seem to tell us that there is a problem with the binaries, at
>> least the one produced on Leopard (which is what our build system
>> uses).
>>
>> Earlier in this thread, you said installing the latest R 2.14.0 binary
>> from CRAN would solve this problem. It appears that it does not solve
>> it, at least for some machines (Lion may or may not be the deciding
>> factor).
>
> Well, actually my statement is not based on my own testing.  But this
> is what I have told people who had problems and it seems that made the
> problem go away.  I am building R from source myself, so I am not
> using the binary.

Maybe we should clarify which R binary we are talking about? On our
build system for release we use R 2.14.0 installed from this package:

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/R-2.14.0.pkg

"curl -I" reports that this file has not been changed since October 31.

So I'm not clear on what Simon actually rebuilt. I looked on R-sig-mac
and the only reference he makes to rebuilding (that I could find) is
something to do with R.app, and whatever binary he rebuilt is probably
on his att.com site, because it's not on CRAN.

> Perhaps Oliver can say exactly what he did to get his problem solved?

That would be great. He said he built from source, but it would be
great to see sessionInfo(), etc.

>> If you want to send me (off-list) the .tgz file produced by
>> R CMD INSTALL --build affxparser
>> on your Snow Leopard system, I'll test if it works on my Lion system.
>
> On its way.

Thanks
Dan