[Bioc-devel] Download stats for Feb/2011?

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sat Feb 19 17:18:15 CET 2011

On 02/19/2011 07:44 AM, cstrato wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Looking at the download stats of my package xps I was astonished to see
> that it was downloaded 692 times which is twice as high as usually, but
> by only 57 distinct IPs which is about twice as low as usually.
>
> Looking at the download stats for other packages I realized that the
> same strange pattern of download stats, very high overall downloads vs
> low downloads by distinct IPs is true for many other packages.
>
> Does someone have an explanation for this strange download pattern in
> February?

Worth remembering that these stats are summaries of the server logs at
FHCRC; they exclude mirrors and can reflect whatever weirdness the
internet might concoct.

February is only half done so I think that's the distinct IP answer; the
total downloads could be any of a number of reasons, for instance
biomaRt was very popular in September 2010, when what appears from their
IP address to be many nodes in a HPC cluster somewhere in the US midwest
decided that they needed to repeatedly install biomaRt.

A more complete answer will take a little digging...

Martin