[Bioc-devel] biocLite.R has been modified (BiocInstaller package)

Kasper Daniel Hansen kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 16:44:12 CEST 2011

Dan et al.

I have not looked at the new package, but since you seem to be
actively working on it, I want to shoot of an old suggestion of mine:
I think we need a function called something like
  checkBiocVersion
or whatever.  It would do the following
1) identify which version of Bioc a given R version should be using
2) go through either all installed packages or all loaded packages and
check the installed package version against the version of
Bioconductor.  It should both report packages that are old as well as
packages that are too new (in case the user has installed package not
from biocLite).

Such a function would be invaluable in helping people on the email
list I think.  We have had many cases where package versions are
either too new or too old compared to "what they should be".

Sorry I am not providing an alpha version, but I wanted to put in my
wishlist when you are actively working on it as opposed to weeks from
now.

And this functionality might exists in the new package; as I said I
have suggested it before and I have not looked at the new code.

Kasper