[Bioc-devel] [BioC] Human Affymetrix Exon microarrays

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Tue Oct 26 22:14:08 CEST 2010

[cc-ed to bioc-devel since it requires Seattle people comment, and might
be interesting for other developers.]

Oct/26/10 4:10 PM, Ernest Turro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ... my R package mmbgx ...includes
> pre-defined probe-probeset mappings obtained from X:Map, which makes
> it too big for Bioconductor (135MB). ... It's available from
> http://bgx.org.uk/software/mmbgx.html .

Hi Ernest

there is a mechanism for "data" packages, outside the better-known
"software" section, exactly for cases such as yours. E.g. the 'CCl4'
package is ~100 MB:
http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/release/data/experiment/html/CCl4.html
and 'davidTiling' is afaIr even six times larger.

For several reasons, it is good to separate such a big dataset, and the
code that uses it, each into their own package - not least because the
code package can then be updated without re-downloading the data that
presumably are more stable.

I've just failed to locate the instructions on the website (*) for how
to submit such a data package - perhaps someone (from Seattle?) can advise?

(*) I looked here:
http://www.bioconductor.org/developers/package-submission
http://www.bioconductor.org/developers/index.html

	Best wishes