[Bioc-devel] Committing changes to the release branch

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Thu Apr 29 15:55:13 CEST 2010

Hi,

First, we will investigate the svn permission issues this morning and
things going again.

On 4/29/10 6:34 AM, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
> At this point I would like to highlight the final step on the Bioc
> HOWTO for updating the release branch:
>
> "Send a mail to the main bioconductor email list to announce the new version."
>
> It seems almost no-one - including the Biocore team - follows this.
> Should this requirement be removed (I don't think so personally, but
> since it is not adhered to, there is not much point in having it)?

This doesn't strike me as a very fair assessment.  In many cases,
changes are initiated due to discussion on the list and these threads
are often resolved with a "fixed in release and devel available in
36hrs" sort of message.

In any case, sending an email to the Bioconductor list to announce
changes to release packages seems like a useful idea.  I would encourage
folks to follow it.

+ seth