[Bioc-devel] BioC 2.5: "suspect" interpackage links

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Thu Sep 24 02:27:50 CEST 2009

Hi Gordon --

Gordon K Smyth wrote:
> Dear Seth, Patrick, Martin and others,
>
> I'd like some advice on the issue of interpackage links.
>
> The R 2.10.0 NEWS file says:
>
>     - The HTML help can now locate cross-references of the form
>           \link[pkg]{foo} and \link[pkg:foo]{bar} where 'foo' is an
>           alias in the package, rather than the documented (basename
>           of a) filename (since the documnetation has been much
>           ignored).
>
> I agree that links of this type are highly desirable and should be
> encouraged.  Yet any link of this type causes a WARNING message in R
> 2.10.0 cmd check as a "Suspect" link.  Hence links of this sort can't be
> used if one wants to pass R cmd check without warnings, which a package
> needs to do to be included in a Bioconductor release.
>
> I understand that I could fix the problem with
> \link[pkg:rdfilename]{bar}, but I believe that the specific naming of
> files in a developer's package directory is up to them.  I think it is
> unreasonable to be expected to keep track of what everyone else chooses
> to name their files, considering that the file name is completely
> arbitrary and doesn't have to bear any relation to the function name or
> help alias.  I'd prefer to remove the links than have to do that.
>
> Should I remove all links of this sort from my Bioconductor packages, or
> wait for a better resolution?

An excellent question.

First, the links have always been broken, it is only now that they are
being flagged as such.

Second, the 'Suspect' links work in HTML, but not in other documentation
forms, in particular PDF I think, so they are still broken for some users.

Third, I really agree that the name of the Rd file in which an alias is
documented is too private.

I don't know what the likelihood of further change is in this, but will
try to find out.

My own strategy has been to update links as required to avoid the
warning and to provide useful documentation, this has not proven too
onerous. My recommendation would be to fix if that is your cup of tea,
but to hold off on removing the links -- this sounds like it should
really be a last resort.

Martin

--
Martin Morgan