[Bioc-devel] BioC 2.5: "suspect" interpackage links

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Sep 24 02:14:43 CEST 2009

Dear Seth, Patrick, Martin and others,

I'd like some advice on the issue of interpackage links.

The R 2.10.0 NEWS file says:

 	- The HTML help can now locate cross-references of the form
           \link[pkg]{foo} and \link[pkg:foo]{bar} where 'foo' is an
           alias in the package, rather than the documented (basename
           of a) filename (since the documnetation has been much
           ignored).

I agree that links of this type are highly desirable and should be
encouraged.  Yet any link of this type causes a WARNING message in R
2.10.0 cmd check as a "Suspect" link.  Hence links of this sort can't be
used if one wants to pass R cmd check without warnings, which a package
needs to do to be included in a Bioconductor release.

I understand that I could fix the problem with \link[pkg:rdfilename]{bar},
but I believe that the specific naming of files in a developer's package
directory is up to them.  I think it is unreasonable to be expected to
keep track of what everyone else chooses to name their files, considering
that the file name is completely arbitrary and doesn't have to bear any
relation to the function name or help alias.  I'd prefer to remove the
links than have to do that.

Should I remove all links of this sort from my Bioconductor packages, or
wait for a better resolution?

Regards
Gordon