[Bioc-devel] links in Rd-files

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Mon Sep 14 17:52:52 CEST 2009

Hi Maarten --

Maarten van Iterson wrote:
> Dear R-devel,
>
> In a Rd-file I want to link to another package, the whole package,
> \link[package_name]{package_name} but I got following warning message:

links are to specific man pages, not to packages, so perhaps you want to
link to a page like ?"Biobase-package".

> See the information in section 'Cross-references' of the 'Writing R
> Extensions' manual.
>
> 'Suspect' links are those of the form \link[pkg]{a} where 'a' exists as
> an alias but not as a filename -- such links will not work in R <
> 2.10.0, and only in HTML (not PDF) help in current versions.

if the object 'a' is documented in a man page named a.Rd, then
\link[pkg]{a} works. But if 'a' is documented in a man page named b.Rd,
then you would want \link[pkg:b]{a}. Yes it seems quite bizarre that you
would have to know the structure of pkg's documentation pages. So

  \link[Biobase:Biobase-package]{Biobase}
  \link[Biobase:class.ExpressionSet]{ExpressionSet}

Martin