[Bioc-devel] Package CITATION and ISO-8859-1 ("latin-1") encoding

Chao-Jen Wong cwon2 at fhcrc.org
Tue Oct 20 19:02:22 CEST 2009

Hi, Henrik

I apologize that I've modified the character 'ö'  without thinking more
carefully.  Yes, you are right. One of our servers does not encode
ISO-8559-1 character set correctly, and I should have result the
encoding setting instead of just substituting 'ö' by 'o'.  Thanks for
bringing up this issue.

Regards,
Chao-Jen

Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in aroma.light I have two entries in the CITATION file that contains
> ISO-8559-1 characters, more precisely the character 'ö' (LaTeX \"{o},
> an 'o' with an "umlaut", 246==0xF6==\0366).
>
> According to Writing R Extensions, "The CITATION file is parsed as R
> code (in the package's declared encoding, defaulting to latin-1).".
>
> I noticed that 'c.wong' has recently modified this CITATION file by
> substituting the above characters with plain 'o':s.  However, those
> are not the same letters.  I suspect this change was done because one
> of the Bioconductor check servers gave a warning.  Since the correct
> letters are part of the ISO-8559-1 and the R manuals says that
> ISO-8559-1 is the default, I'd say there is nothing wrong with the
> original CITATION file (I've changed back in my case), but with the
> default encoding settings of one of the Bioconductor severs.
>
> Comments?
>
> /Henrik
>
> PS. Related: I've noticed that Bioc people/scripts occasionally bump
> the version number of a package; if so could you please make sure to
> update the DESCRIPTION *date* too.

Chao-Jen Wong
Program in Computational Biology
Division of Public Health Sciences