[Bioc-devel] Package CITATION and ISO-8859-1 ("latin-1") encoding

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 20 09:45:49 CEST 2009

Hi,

in aroma.light I have two entries in the CITATION file that contains
ISO-8559-1 characters, more precisely the character 'ö' (LaTeX \"{o},
an 'o' with an "umlaut", 246==0xF6==\0366).

According to Writing R Extensions, "The CITATION file is parsed as R
code (in the package's declared encoding, defaulting to latin-1).".

I noticed that 'c.wong' has recently modified this CITATION file by
substituting the above characters with plain 'o':s.  However, those
are not the same letters.  I suspect this change was done because one
of the Bioconductor check servers gave a warning.  Since the correct
letters are part of the ISO-8559-1 and the R manuals says that
ISO-8559-1 is the default, I'd say there is nothing wrong with the
original CITATION file (I've changed back in my case), but with the
default encoding settings of one of the Bioconductor severs.

Comments?

/Henrik

PS. Related: I've noticed that Bioc people/scripts occasionally bump
the version number of a package; if so could you please make sure to
update the DESCRIPTION *date* too.