[Bioc-devel] BioC 2.5: Added scanDates slot to Biobase's eSetclass

Bengoechea Bartolomé Enrique (SIES 73) enrique.bengoechea at credit-suisse.com
Thu Jun 25 11:05:03 CEST 2009

Hi Henrik,

Although I work in a different field (finance), I completely agree that your proposal would be one of the most useful infrastructure additions to R. I saw your post on R-devel and completely aggreed with the suggestion (sad that nobody from R-base answered). It would maybe have important performance implications for standard arrays, so maybe a new class could be envisioned for it? I would volunteer to work in such a project, as I've been writting a lot of R code like that in the past.

For example, I've developed a class similar to AnnotatedDataFrame but based on S3 and with some pre-defined meta-information (prefix the type of each variable, user-defined coercion behaviour, allow/disallow NAs per variable, etc.) which will be soon submitted to CRAN, and experienced first-hand the need for this type of infrastructure.

Best,

Enrique

Message: 1