[Bioc-devel] Biobase/IRanges annotation maksing

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Feb 19 17:56:03 CET 2009

Hi Martin

the re-use of the Biobase::annotation generic by GSEABase and affyPLM is
great, because it makes it easier for users to discover and use these
functionalities provided from the different packages (compared to them
being separate regular functions).

You are right that the name masking issue is technically independent of
whether you are dealing with an S4 generic or a regular function.
However, anecdotal evidence I've seen seems to indicate that package
developers more readily tend to use generic (in the ordinary sense of
the word) names for S4-generic functions, which increases the frequency
of masking events. As you say, those can easily be addressed on the
package development level by using namespace tools, but are quite a pain
for the end-user whose is writing scripts.

The two questions that I had in mind (sorry that they were not expressed
that clearly) regarding what we should consider "best practice" in this
community:

- Should you export common names like, say, "annotation", "normalize",
"coef" for your package's functions even though you're aware of them
being exported, with different bindings, from other packages that users
may concurrently attach?

- What is the threshold at which it makes sense to switch from defining
a regular function to making it a generic + 1 method? (From your
arguments below one might conclude that one should always do the second?)

Best wishes
      Wolfgang

Wolfgang Huber, EMBL-EBI, http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber