[Bioc-devel] Biobase/IRanges annotation maksing

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Thu Feb 19 16:29:27 CET 2009

Wolfgang Huber <huber at ebi.ac.uk> writes:

> Hi
>
> of course there is no fundamental reason why the same name should not
> be used for different things in different packages, and in many
> instances this is the most reasonable solution. However, I think the
> user-friendliness of the set of Bioconductor packages would be
> improved if authors tried to keep such instances to a minimum.
>
> Since there is considerable overlap and collaboration between the
> authors of Biobase and IRange I am optimistic that a (perhaps less
> modular but) more integrated solution could be found.
>
> Currently, the generic function Biobase::annotation has exactly one
> method, for signature "eSet", and the generic function
> IRanges::annotation has exactly one method, for signature
> "AnnotatedList". I.e. although they are generic functions in the
> S4-technical sense, neither is generic in the common sense of the
> word. I think it could be a goal for us that the concepts "S4" and

Hi Wolfgang --

Not exactly sure what you're getting at here (which doesn't bode well
for common sense on my part, I guess); I read this as saying these
functions might be 'regular', and not generic at all. But as you know

* Methods are not restricted to definition in the package of the
generic. So there are two methods on Biobase::annotation after
library(GSEABase), three after library(affyPLM), etc.

* Generics provide type checking that is useful even when there is a
single method (e.g., Biobase::annotation does not operate on, say, a
data.frame).

* Generics help to define an API (e.g., Biobase::annotation's single
method operates on 4 different classes defined in Biobase). The API
can be discovered programmatically, modulo the quirks of showMethod
(the 'where' argument can be useful under the current regime).

* Two identically named regular functions would conflict in the same
way, except perhaps without notifying the user.

Also worth reiterating that the example I mentioned pointed to a bug
(relying on user search path for function discovery) that has been
resolved through use of a name space and 'imports'.

End users still have to contend with the competing functions (using
Biobase::annotation to disambiguate). This is unfortunate and perhaps
amenable to common sense, but independent of S4 / generics.

Martin