[Bioc-devel] Boost as build dependency ?

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Wed Feb 18 02:33:16 CET 2009

Hi Steffen, Patrick,

Note that Boost is a very peculiar library in the sense that most
modules are header-only i.e. they are entirely made of .hpp files.
The 3 packages in Bioconductor that include Boost (RBGL, bgx and BGmix)
only "use" a few modules. The way they "use" these modules is by
including a few .hpp files from these modules into their own C++
code.
Steffen, if you are about to do the same in xcms, that's fine but
then we would have 4 BioC packages that ship their own
boostIncl.tar.gz (or parts of it). Maybe a better approach would
be to put boostIncl.tar.gz in a BioC package of its own and have
the client packages use the "LinkingTo:" feature?
Note that this infrastructure package would be easy to make and
to maintain as it would be made of .hpp files only, all of them in
the inst/include folder, so there would be nothing to compile,
no R code, no NAMESPACE and no man page.

H.

Patrick Aboyoun wrote:
> Steffen,
> The BioC build machines does not rely upon an external BOOST library
> installation to build packages. For example, the RBGL BioC package is an
> interface to The Boost Graph Library (BGL) and includes the source code
> for BGL.
>
> I would like to reframe this discussion from one about the build system
> to one about the end users and in particular consumers of the Windows
> and Mac binary packages. Do you want typical Windows and Mac users to
> have the BOOST libraries installed on their system to use the xcms
> package? Even if the build system can build binary packages for xcms
> that rely on external libraries, a typical user may have a hard time
> reconstructing the required components on their machine to use the
> binary packages on bioconductor.org. I was recently reminded of this
> when I was helping Mac users with the Rgraphviz package since it
> dynamically links to the graphviz library. The graphviz installation on
> the build machines is old and hard for others to reproduce so there was
> very little utility to Rgraphviz Mac binary packages out-of-the-box. I
> upgraded graphviz on the Mac build machines, but this is only a partial
> fix since end users still need to match the graphviz installation that
> created the Rgraphviz binary package.
>

> Patrick
>

> Steffen Neumann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> to add more input file formats to xcms I'd like to include pwiz into
>> xcms.so
>>
>> pwiz has several boost (version >1.36.x) libraries as dependency.
>> Shipping and Building the whole boost in the xcms package
>> is probably out of question.
>> Are they available on the build machines ?
>>
>> I could also try to check for them in the configure,
>> and make them linking optional.
>>
>> Yours,
>> Steffen

Hervé Pagès