[Bioc-devel] Boost as build dependency ?

Patrick Aboyoun paboyoun at fhcrc.org
Tue Feb 17 18:38:23 CET 2009

Steffen,
The BioC build machines does not rely upon an external BOOST library
installation to build packages. For example, the RBGL BioC package is an
interface to The Boost Graph Library (BGL) and includes the source code
for BGL.

I would like to reframe this discussion from one about the build system
to one about the end users and in particular consumers of the Windows
and Mac binary packages. Do you want typical Windows and Mac users to
have the BOOST libraries installed on their system to use the xcms
package? Even if the build system can build binary packages for xcms
that rely on external libraries, a typical user may have a hard time
reconstructing the required components on their machine to use the
binary packages on bioconductor.org. I was recently reminded of this
when I was helping Mac users with the Rgraphviz package since it
dynamically links to the graphviz library. The graphviz installation on
the build machines is old and hard for others to reproduce so there was
very little utility to Rgraphviz Mac binary packages out-of-the-box. I
upgraded graphviz on the Mac build machines, but this is only a partial
fix since end users still need to match the graphviz installation that
created the Rgraphviz binary package.

Patrick