[Bioc-devel] Requirment for a Vignette

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Sun Sep 23 17:00:35 CEST 2007

Aedin Culhane wrote:
> Dear All,
> May I ask a little query?
>
> Increasingly, there are Bioconductor packages (many core) without a
> vignette.

   I hope not. It is a requirement, and no less of one for core packages
than for anyone else.  But it is a requirement only for release, not
devel.  Operationally, we do not take submissions that are not for
release, so all submissions must have vignettes. But many of the core
related packages in devel may not have one, and most new ones are
unlikely to have one until very close to release, when we finalize the
API we are going to support for the next release.

   We (the core developers) do use the bioc-devel repository as a way to
share ideas so that things there are often very intermediate, and we
expect anyone working off of that to be aware of the risks involved in
using software under active development.

  In just a few days you will see the manifest for the 2.1 release
change, and all packages that are not scheduled for release will be
dropped. Once that happens, we will look for missing vignettes, but you
could send me (either on or off list) a set of the packages that you
have found without them, and I will start pushing on people to produce
something.

   But as I am sure you are aware someone can easily circumvent any
technical requirement we impose, so the only really reliable way to push
on a developer to provide good documentation, is for their users to ask
for more.  That also provides some feedback to the developer that their
code is being used, so that more development effort is of benefit.

  best wishes
    Robert

> In my own work, I have found several BioC package tutorials/vignettes
> invaluable.  They assisted me learn Bioconductor, but additional they
> provide one with a understanding of the objective of a package and a
> grasp of the order and procedures required to execute its many functions.
>
> Has the requirement for a package vignette in Bioconductor packages
> slackened?
>
> Thanks a million
> Aedin

Robert Gentleman, PhD