[Bioc-devel] All Package Maintainers Please README!

Tue Oct 30 00:13:45 CET 2007

On Oct 28, 2007, at 10:02 PM, Diego Diez wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> just come to this thread and I would like to share my opinion. I
> usually don't log any changes to the svn log for several reason,
> mainly have to do with bad practices (I've been doing it into a
> separate file in inst/doc). I was planing to change to the svn way
> for the next devel/release cycle though. I would like to have some
> flexibility for the log so I prefer adding a specific character at
> the beginning of each line in order to identify them. I don't like
> too much putting something as long as INTERNAL but if a suitable
> character like # can be safely used I'll definitely adhere to this
> policy. As a side comment it may be interesting to add the character
> to the lines that are usually going to be less common. What do you
> think use to take more space/lines in your commit logs? User focused
> comments or detailed developer focused changes? If developer focused
> changes use to be longer in description it might make more sense to
> add the character just to the blogged lines. That will have the
> additional effect of no blogging by default that may be a good thing
> (as Marc pointed out).

I think this post raises the interesting question of who this blog-
style news listing is intended for. If it is developers (which I
assume), I would vote for keeping it super easy and not worry too
much about formatting etc. If the intention is more user-oriented I
think it would be better to try to start a changeLog style thing
which should be written separately from the svn log. Such an approach
(which I would like anyway) is already supported by some packages and
we could make a standard function like changeLog() that displays it.
That way a user can keep track of changes, something which I
sometimes have found very useful indeed, especially if algorithms are
changed. The svn log should - in my opinion - be a way of
communicating with your co-developers and should not necessarily be
understandable for anyone who does not have a decent insight into the
package.

Kasper