[Bioc-devel] Package download statistics

Richard Pearson richard.pearson at postgrad.manchester.ac.uk
Wed Jun 27 17:14:14 CEST 2007

Hi Robert

Thanks for the link - very useful!

I think developers would like to know:
1. How many times their package(s) has(have) been downloaded, ideally
broken down by:
    a. Total downloads/number of unique visitors
    b. Source/windows binary/OSX binary
    c. R download (e.g. using biocLite)/direct download from web page
    d. month/year/lifetime
    e. version number
2. How many times each of their package vignettes has been downloaded
3. How many times the package page
(http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.0/bioc/html/<package_name>.html has
been viewed

I think users would probably like this same information, but for all
packages as a ranked list, and probably also for subsets of packages as
defined by the Bioconductor Subviews.

Having had a look at the url you posted, I think most of this
information is already available, if a little difficult to find, from
the "Pages-URL" section. What I'm not quite sure about is whether this
would include packages downloaded from R (e.g. using biocLite,
install.packages, etc.) - maybe someone could clarify this?

As a first step, I would suggest listing on each package page the number
of unique visitor downloads for the last month and last year of each of
the following:
1.
http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.0/bioc/src/contrib/<package_name>_x.y.z.tar.gz
2.
http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.0/bioc/bin/windows/contrib/2.5/<package_name>_x.y.z.zip
3.
http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.0/bioc/bin/macosx/universal/contrib/2.5/<package_name>_x.y.z.tgz
I think www.bioconductor.org might get counted separately from
bioconductor.org, so I'd suggest just adding the two numbers for each of
the above.

As a second step I would suggest giving users the option of ranking the
list of packages in each subview by the sum of the above three numbers.

Of course, I have no idea how much work might be involved in doing this,
and how much interest there is from others. Anyone else have views?

Best regards

Richard.