[Bioc-devel] ExpressionSet for qRT-PCR

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Mon Jan 15 18:26:12 CET 2007

"Matthias Kohl" <Matthias.Kohl at stamats.de> writes:

> Hi Jim,
>
> we work with 96 well plates (on the iQ5 platform of Bio-Rad).
>
> The next steps I'm going to take in the near future are:
> - add a function to read in the data for our platform
> - use S4 class (ExpressionSet?) to save/hold the data

If the data is really quite different from that currently stored in
ExpressionSet (i.e., gene expression data from microarray experiments)
then probably you want to create a new class for the data. This will
help associate appropriate methods with appropriate data.

This does NOT mean starting a new class, say qtPCRSet, from
scratch. If qtPCRSet is a specialized version of ExpressionSet data
(you'd like functionality that is unique to qtPCR, in addition to the
analytic methods available to ExpressionSet) then you would subclass
ExpressionSet.

It seems that a more likely starting point is that you want to have
the overall coordination of assay data + phenotypic data + feature
data + experiment data + annotation, but the data analysis methods
relevant to qtPCRSet are different from those for ExpressionSet. Then
the starting point is eSet

> setClass("qtPCRSet", contains="eSet")
[1] "qtPCRSet"
> new("qtPCRSet")
qtPCRSet (storageMode: lockedEnvironment)
  element names:
phenoData
  sampleNames: none
  varLabels and varMetadata: none
featureData
  featureNames: none
  varLabels and varMetadata: none
experimentData: use 'experimentData(object)'
Annotation character(0)

and you'll have lots of functionality (e.g., coordinated subsetting,
display, access to slots via phenoData(), etc) already available (the
'initialize' method might be tricky to get exactly right, but
ExpressionSet provides a model). More info is in the vignette "Notes
for eSet developers".

Martin

Martin T. Morgan
Bioconductor / Computational Biology