[Bioc-devel] importing packages without a name space

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Fri Apr 13 19:59:27 CEST 2007

Hi Laurent,

"Laurent Gatto" <L.Gatto at dnavision.be> writes:
> I have a problem with my NAMESPACE file. I need to import a package that
> does not define a name space, and I always get the same error on
> import(), specifying that the package I try to load 'does not have a
> name space'.

Actually, it is simply not possible to import from a package that does
not have a name space of its own.

> Note that I also need to import a class from that package with
> importClassFrom() which seems to work.

That is news to me; I would not expect it to work.

I think the best you can do when you are using code from a package
that does not have a NAMESPACE file is to put this package in the
Depends field.

The next thing to do is send a friendly email to the package's
maintainer and ask that they add a name space to their package :-)

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | Computational Biology | Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
http://bioconductor.org