[Bioc-devel] Deprecation of xy2i and i2xy

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Apr 12 20:50:47 CEST 2007

Hi Henrik,

Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for this.
>
> Just a thought, would it be much work to also add a "chipType" value
> to containing the name of the original chip type.  Right now it is not
> possible to identify the original chip type given the package (or
> "clean" CDF name) - the mapping is in one direction only.  Example:
>
>> cleancdfname("Mapping250K_Nsp")
>
> [1] "mapping250knspcdf"'
>
>> chipType("mapping250knspcdf")
>
> [1] "Mapping250K_Nsp"
>
> which would be handy when for instance looking up additional external
> annotation data/files given the CDF package etc.

Theoretically, not difficult. The existing mapping is simple, but
mapping back is more difficult (e.g., where do you put the underscore?
What gets capitalized?, etc), so you would really need something like an
environment to do the mapping, and just keep that up to date by hand.

So it wouldn't be that difficult. However, as I noted yesterday, these
packages are on their last legs so I don't want to put any more work in
than necessary.

In addition, the mapping from Affy name to cleancdfname is to make
programmatic things easier. The reverse mapping would simply be there to
help the end user figure out what chip they are using. Fortunately, one
of the things the human brain excels at is pattern matching, so figuring
out that hgu133plus2 == HG-U133 Plus_2 is easy for someone to do. And
really, if the end user doesn't know what chip (s)he is using, I don't
think there is anything we can do to rectify that situation ;-D

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald, M.S.