[Bioc-devel] SNPscan -> SNPchip

Rob Scharpf rscharpf at jhsph.edu
Fri Nov 3 13:58:00 CET 2006

Hi,

We changed the name of the R package SNPscan to SNPchip to avoid
confusion with the SNPscan web-tool.

SNPchip contains classes and methods for organizing and visualizing
high throughput SNP data.  The classes are indirect extensions of
eSet.  In particular, we define classes for copy number estimates and
confidence scores, genotype calls and confidence scores, and a third
class that contains both copy number and genotype calls.  This third
class inherits methods from the other two.   We hope that SNPchip
will provide a useful forum for continued discussion and development
of these classes.  We will continue to work with Seth and Martin on
the pros and cons of this setup, hopefully with feedback from other
bioc-developers.  This feedback may also be useful for improving the
classes defined in Biobase for SNP data.

As of right now, we provide static tables for SNP- and chromosome-
level annotation as .RData files.  Annotation packages for Affymetrix
SNP chips need more discussion.  The wiki for the SNP annotation
packages is still here: http://wiki.fhcrc.org/bioc/
SNP_Annotation_Package_Discussion

Thank you-

Rob and Ingo