[Bioc-devel] Some build system news

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Mon Dec 18 16:03:13 CET 2006

Kasper Daniel Hansen <khansen at stat.berkeley.edu> writes:

> On Dec 15, 2006, at 4:28 AM, Herve Pages wrote:
>> "Main" build machine means that a devel package is made publicly
>> available
>> (by being pushed to http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.0/bioc/)
>> only if it
>> passes the CHECK on 'lamb1' with no error (it can have warnings
>> though).
>
> I assume you have thought this through. I just want to point out the
> the lamb1 system is one specific architecture and there may be
> (development) packages that have problems only for specific
> architectures. This is of course mostly relevant for non-R code, and
> I may be a bit biased since I have worked on two packages where the
> platform differences really mattered.

The "feature" that source packages rely on a single build system is
not new.  Things have been this way since I started working on the
project.  I agree that there might be some value in adding more
robustness, but I'm really not sure it would be worth the time
required to implement (when we could be working on other aspects of
the project).

+ seth