[Bioc-devel] Some build system news

Keith Satterley keith at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Dec 15 05:52:14 CET 2006

Hi Herve,

I struck the problem mentioned back in August this year. It is related to Sweave.sty

A copy the email I sent on 24/8/06 follows:
*******************
I've been checking the build reports at

http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/1.9/

and I notice that the following packages, which have exactly three errors, on
the three Windows XP nodes (walpole,matrix1 & matrix2), all have a similar error
message as shown below:
=================
* creating vignettes ... ERROR
entering extended mode

C:\texmf\tex\latex\base\article.cls:17: Emergency stoptexi2dvi: pdflatex exited
with bad status, quitting.
texi2dvi: see "ABarray.log" for errors.
buildVignettes(dir = '.')
Error in texi2dvi(file = bft, pdf = TRUE, clean = FALSE, quiet = quiet) :
     running texi2dvi on 'ABarray.tex' failed
Execution halted
=================
The log file refers to being unable to find Sweave.sty.

The error does not occur on the Windows Server 2003 node(lemming).

The packages that I noticed were:

ABarray
convert
afflmGUI
EBarrays
goTools
limma
limmaGUI

I was having the same problem on my machine
 >sessionInfo()
R version 2.4.0 Under development (unstable) (2006-08-14 r38872)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_Australia.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_Australia.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_Australia.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_Australia.1252

attached base packages:
[1] "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets" "base"

(Also I have the same problems with R-2.3.1)
and found that if I placed a copy of Sweave.sty (copied from
C:\R\R-x.y.z\share\texmf ) into the doc subdirectory of my package (in mycase
affylmGUI and limmaGUI), the error was no longer generated and vignettes were
created.

Is this the recommended solution or am I doing something wrong with some other
part of my packages? Or is there perhaps some configuration issue with R that
should be addressed.

Not sure if this is an R-devel question or Bioc-devel, but since the Bioc XP
nodes show the problem, I thought it best to start on this list,
***************

There was further discussion of this: The subject name on the messages were:
"texmf error on 7 packages on devel winXP build nodes"
which then became:
"Sweave windows style path (was Re: texmf error on 7 packages on devel winXP
build nodes)"

Hope that helps,

Keith

Keith Satterley
Bioinformatics Division
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research