[Bioc-devel] texmf error on 7 packages on devel winXP build nodes

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Thu Aug 24 12:46:47 CEST 2006

Hi Keith --

Sweave is being a bit clever. When it processes an .Rnw file and sees
a line

\usepackage{Sweave}

it says, oh, this guy knows what he's doing, so tex is probably
configured to find Sweave. On the other hand, when it processes an
.Rnw file and does *not* see \usepackage{Sweave} it says, oh, this guy
must think that *I* know what I'm doing, so when I make the .tex
document I'll put in the path to Sweave.sty that came with R.

The odd consequence of this is that if you add \usepackage{Sweave} to
your vignette and do not have tex configured to find Sweave.sty, then
you end up with an error because tex can't find Sweave. On the other
hand, removing \usepackage{Sweave} fixes the problem because Sweave
knows where it can be found.

To make things work, you can remove \usepackage{Sweave} from your
vignette (but then you won't be able to build the vignette except by
building the R package). Alternatively, you can configuring tex to
find Sweave.sty. How to actually configure tex depends on your
installation. On Windows using MiKTeX there's a graphical interface to
set MiKTeX options. You can add a 'Root' path to point to the file
system location where R has a copy of Sweave.sty (R_HOME\share\texmf)
and then 'Refresh' the file name data base. On linux the strategy is
usually to define an environment variable TEXINPUTS to include the
path.

Thanks for helping to identify why these vignettes are not building on
walpole & matrix.

Hope that helps,

Martin
--