[Bioc-devel] New repos layout

Herve Pages hpages at fhcrc.org
Fri Apr 7 21:01:10 CEST 2006

Hi all,

Starting with Bioconductor 1.8, we are using a new layout for
our package repositories.

All our repos were and are still under this place:

     http://bioconductor.org/packages/

(don't try this URL, it doesn't work since there is no
index.html file here).
Each version of Bioconductor consists of a family of repositories
that contain the packages that are supposed to work together.

For Bioconductor 1.7 (and earlier versions) we were using (and
are still using) the following layout:

     http://bioconductor.org/packages/

         bioc/1.7/src/contrib/html/
         data/annotation/1.7/src/contrib/html/
         data/experiment/1.7/src/contrib/html/
         omegahat/1.7/src/contrib/html/
         lindsey/1.7/src/contrib/html/

Starting with Bioconductor 1.8 (the current devel version), we are
using this new layout:

     http://bioconductor.org/packages/1.8/

         bioc/
         data/annotation/
         data/experiment/
         omegahat/
         lindsey/

For now, the repos under http://bioconductor.org/packages/1.8/ can be
browsed individually. For example

     http://bioconductor.org/packages/1.8/bioc/

displays the package index for this repos (you should see your
package  here!)
And

     http://bioconductor.org/packages/1.8/bioc/TaskViews.html

is the entry point for the "per-view" browsing.

In the near future, we plan to make

     http://bioconductor.org/packages/1.8/

directly accessible, with some global info here (e.g. list of repos,
global index.html, global TaskViews.html, links to the per-repos
indexes, etc...). This way you will need to bookmark just one link
in order to remember the entry point to all the Bioconductor 1.8 repos.

Our Mirror HOWTO page has been updated to reflect this change:

    http://bioconductor.org/download/mirrors/mirror-howto.html

so if you are mirroring (or plan to mirror) Bioconductor 1.8,
please have a look at it.

Regards,

H.

PS: We still have to update our links in our Plone website

     http://bioconductor.org/

Please don't hesitate to report broken links, suggestions, etc...
All feedback is welcome. Thanks!

--
Hervé Pagès
E-mail: hpages at fhcrc.org