[Bioc-devel] Proposed version bump plan for 1.7 release

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Mon Sep 26 21:12:52 CEST 2005

On 26 Sep 2005, colin at colinsmith.org wrote:

> On Sep 26, 2005, at 11:23 , Seth Falcon wrote:
>
>> 0. All packages have an x.y.z version number
>>
>> 1. All packages in the 1.7 release will be bumped to x.(y+1).0.
>>    This
>> will communicate to users that the package is part of the release
>> and has been verified to work with R 2.2.0.
>>
>> 2. Once the release branch has been made, all packages will be
>>    bumped
>> to x.(y+2).0 to indicate the beginning of the BioC 1.8 devel line.
>
> I have two suggestions for the currently proposed bike shed:
>
> #1) Add the additional condition that y is odd, resulting in even-
> numbered releases and odd-numbered development branches, similar to
> other projects.

The problem is that right now we have a mix of even and odd y's.  We
could increment y to the nearest even number for release and the next
number for devel.  Is that what you are suggesting?

> #2) At the time of the next release, if the devel version number is
> still x.(y+2).0, indicating there were no changes to the package
> between releases, then the version included in the next release is
> kept at x.(y+1).0. Otherwise, it might give a false sense of progress
> where there was none.

Can you clarify #2, please.  Let's toss the x.y.z that I started and
use the fictitious foo and bar packages.  For discussion, the curretn
devel version of foo is foo_1.2.3 and bar is bar_1.3.1.

Thanks,

+ seth