[Bioc-devel] Proposed version bump plan for 1.7 release

Colin A. Smith colin at colinsmith.org
Mon Sep 26 20:57:37 CEST 2005

On Sep 26, 2005, at 11:23 , Seth Falcon wrote:

> 0. All packages have an x.y.z version number
>
> 1. All packages in the 1.7 release will be bumped to x.(y+1).0.  This
>    will communicate to users that the package is part of the release
>    and has been verified to work with R 2.2.0.
>
> 2. Once the release branch has been made, all packages will be bumped
>    to x.(y+2).0 to indicate the beginning of the BioC 1.8 devel line.

I have two suggestions for the currently proposed bike shed:

#1) Add the additional condition that y is odd, resulting in even-
numbered releases and odd-numbered development branches, similar to
other projects.

#2) At the time of the next release, if the devel version number is
still x.(y+2).0, indicating there were no changes to the package
between releases, then the version included in the next release is
kept at x.(y+1).0. Otherwise, it might give a false sense of progress
where there was none.

-Colin