[Bioc-devel] Updated check results page

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Fri Nov 11 17:47:26 CET 2005

On 11 Nov 2005, stvjc at channing.harvard.edu wrote:

> Hi, I've finally had a look at this.  It's very impressive.
>
> A few comments
>
> 1) indexing the tables by hostname is peculiar to me.  i can
> look up the hostname or i can learn the right to left sequence,
> but i would prefer something qualitative: linux 64, linux 32,
> sparc, windows 64?  if i need to know details i can look in the
> table

That's a good point.

> 2) MISSING is a strange tag -- in general, it would be good for
> the page to give an indicator of when the developer should
> do something to get a more favorable status; edd is MISSING
> for lemming, but i don't know how to make it OK

That is what we are aiming for and perhaps ERROR would suffice.  One
can receive WARNINGS on R CMD build and still get a tarball.  Can one
get ERROR messages and still get a (usable) tarball?

The MISSING label indicates that no tarball was produced from R CMD
build.

For the case of edd, there is info when you click:
http://www.bioconductor.org/checkResults/1.8/html2/lemming/edd.buildsrc.html

Looks like a build system issue where we've run out of tempdirs :-(

> 3) Purely for the convenience of authors of multiple packages,
> it would be good to put the author name somewhere on the page, maybe
> in the rightmost column so that one can do browser finds

Another good point that Jeff also raised.  We will add maintainer
info.

> as for A vs B -- i find that the distinction of BUILD BIN is
> more prominent in B and again i don't know what the developer should
> do for a package whose BUILD BIN status on windows differs from
> its CHECK status there.  i prefer A but not strongly.

> so perhaps there could be some descriptive text accessible via
> linked at the top (e.g., what to do if your package is not OK)
> which gives general suggestions on how to improve status

Good idea.  Perhaps a Bioconductor package bug fixing How To.  Are you
volunteering to draft something ;-)

Thanks for the useful feedback.

Best,

+ seth