[Bioc-devel] Attention Bioconductor Maintainers

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Mon May 23 16:01:12 CEST 2005

Gordon Smyth wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> OK, yes, I see now the problem that you are addressing. I had been
> viewing the release version as essentially fixed and not permitting
> version number increments. However, if you do allow bug fixes and hence
> version increments to the current release, I agree that you need to bump
> up the devel version numbers (with a slower moving counter) so that the
> release version number always stays below the devel version. It would be
> slightly better to do the bumping only when the first change is actually
> made to the devel version, but people will probably forget to do so at
> this stage, so I agree that your pre-emptive bumping is a good idea.

Hi Gordon,

  We did think about doing that (the bumping only at change time), but
all systems we could think of required some manual intervention/checking
here, and we are run a bit thin - the project is a bit too successful
for the available resources. But if you, or anyone else thinks up a
different scheme before the next release we would be happy to change.
This just seemed like it would be simplest for all - but a bit invasive,
and for that we do apologize.

   Best wishes,
     Robert