[Bioc-devel] Invitation to the bioC developers Meeting in Seattle Mon 15 Aug

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Fri Aug 5 22:20:25 CEST 2005

Hi all,
   I think that it is important to realize that package authors
generally create packages to solve local and immediate problems. They
post them to BioC to let others use them, and hopefully to get feedback
etc. So whether or not they interoperate or are of really high quality
was not a primary issue for the developer. But, as time goes by, and if
they do see use, then they warrant some more attention, redesign and
improved effort in documentation etc. I think we should be pretty
careful about setting barriers to entry and rather focus more on
strategies for iterative improvement.

  One of the design goals of the vignettes was to encourage user
contributions. Once someone, other than the package author has used a
package for an analysis they have the capability to write a vignette, or
to provide meaningful feedback to the package author. Unfortunately
instances of this activity are as rare as sightings of the ivory-billed
woodpecker. So let me encourage those of you who have used packages to
try to find the time to provide helpful feedback to the author.

   As for what can the Bioconductor project do to help, a number of
things. We can identify sets of packages, like the three aCGH ones, and
encourage the adoption of a common data format, or at the very least the
creation of coercion methods between data types. Amalgamation of
packages can also be useful. But importantly we need to encourage these
folks to talk to each other and to provide resources that will help them
to achieve that goal. We have done that with the Affymetrix based
microarray packages, tried to do it with the cDNA arrays, and are happy
to try and help with aCGH and any other data formats.

  Wolfgang Huber has suggested a two or three day developer conference
be held some time and I think that one of the goals is to make that a
venue where this sort of redesign (and possibly even implementation)
could take place - so I encourage those of you that are interested to
ensure that that conference/workshop does take place.

Best wishes,
   Robert