[Bioc-devel] Invitation to the bioC developers Meeting in Sea ttle Mon 15 Aug

Vincent Carey 525-2265 stvjc at channing.harvard.edu
Fri Aug 5 22:11:26 CEST 2005

> I'd be happy to follow your suggestions on how to make the package fit more
> with affy-type packages (obvious things is creating subsettabble
> exprset-like object, possibly methods) for the next release. anything else
> that you have in mind? are you suggesting combining three packages? i am
> open to this but it would obviously depend on the other authors.

We want to reduce the complexity that users and developers face
when approaching the system.

-- The packages should distinguish
themselves through high-level documentation/naming so that users
can decide easily which to use.
-- If two packages do very similar
things it would be good for the developers to talk to one another
and decide how to reduce needless complexity, either by amalgamating
the packages or dividing up the intersection so that there
is no overlap.
-- If packages define containers for high-throughput
data structures that are similar to exprSets (GxN assay results,
Nxp phenodata), developers should consider how to simplify conversions.
-- If packages define annotation containers, there should be some
consideration of how the annotation processes of well-established
workflows like affy/annaffy could be emulated.

Any changes should be made keeping in mind the
need for a deprecation period when packages drop functionality.