[Rd] Vignettes with long compute time

Trevor Davis trevor@|@d@v|@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Mar 11 16:59:31 CET 2024

> Is there a way to include the compiled version of a vignette in the doc
directory but mark
it to NOT be rerun by CRAN?

Some developers "precompute" their vignettes so CRAN has nothing left to
run: https://ropensci.org/blog/2019/12/08/precompute-vignettes/

> Beth Atkinson and I are splitting out many of the vignettes from the
survival
package into a separate package survivalVignettes.

An alternative some authors use is to temporarily use a special
`.Rbuildignore` file to omit large vignettes when building the CRAN package
but don't use that file for the normal development version (so that all the
vignettes are available in the `{pkgdown}` website and for users who
install using alternative channels like `remotes::install_github()`).

Trevor