[Rd] Vignettes with long compute time

Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. therne@u @end|ng |rom m@yo@edu
Mon Mar 11 16:43:46 CET 2024

Is there a way to include the compiled version of a vignette in the doc directory but mark
it to NOT be rerun by CRAN?   I think I remember that this is possible, but have forgotton
how.   (It might even be a false memory.)

Terry T.

Background:  Beth Atkinson and I are splitting out many of the vignettes from the survival
package into a separate package survivalVignettes.  There are a few reasons

  1. Some vignettes use packages outside of the base + recommended set; psueodovalues for
instance are normally used as input to a subsequent GEE model.    Since survival is itself
a recommended package, it can't legally host the pseudo.Rnw vignette.
  2. The set of vignettes for survival is large, and likely to get larger.    It makes
sense to slim down the size of the package itself.
  3. It allows us to use Rmd.  (Again, survival can't use anything outside of base +
recommended).
  4. We have a couple of 'optional' vignettes that talk about edge cases, useful to some
people but not worth the size cost of cluttering up the main package.

The current submission fails due to one vignette in group 4 which takes a looong time to
run.  This vignette in particular is talking about compute time, and illustrates a cases
where an O(n^2) case arises.   As sentence that warns the use "of you do this it will take
hours to run" is a perfect case for a pdf that should not be recreated by R CMD check.

--
Terry M Therneau, PhD
Department of Quantitative Health Sciences

"TERR-ree THUR-noh"