[Rd] Should subsetting named vector return named vector including named unmatched elements?

Hervé Pagès hp@ge@@on@g|thub @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Jan 19 08:10:39 CET 2024

Never been a big fan of this behavior either but maybe the intention was
to make it easier to distinguish between 2 types of NAs in the result:
those that were present in the original vector vs those that are
introduced by an unmatched subscript. Like in this example:

     x <- setNames(c(101:108, NA), letters[1:9])
     #   a   b   c   d   e   f   g   h   i
     # 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108  NA

     #    g <NA>    a    i
     #  107   NA  101   NA

The first NA is the result of an unmatched subscript, while the second
one comes from 'x'.

This is of limited interest though. In most real world applications I've
worked on, we actually need to "fix" the names of the result.

Best,

H.