[Rd] Should subsetting named vector return named vector including named unmatched elements?

Steve Martin m@rbert@ @end|ng |rom protonm@||@com
Fri Jan 19 03:41:17 CET 2024

Jiří,

For your first question, the NA names make sense if you think of indexing with a character vector as the same as menu[match(select, names(menu))]. You're not indexing with "beans"; rather, "beans" becomes NA because it's not in the names of menu. (This is how it's documented in ?`[`: "Character vectors will be matched to the names of the object...")

Steve