[Rd] stats package: Request to change the default argument show.residuals in print.summary.glm to TRUE

Vangelis Evangelou ee224 @end|ng |rom b@th@@c@uk
Wed Oct 25 11:33:17 CEST 2023

Hi all.

Since version 4.3.0, print.summary.glm does not print the residuals 5-number summary. This has to be explicitly requested with
print(summary(glm(...)), show.residuals = TRUE)
I believe this should be the default behaviour, i.e.,
summary(glm(...))
should print the residuals 5-number summary by default. The reason for this is

  1.  The residuals 5-number summary is helpful as can be used to assess the goodness-of-fit of the model by checking for symmetry and potentially outlying observations.
  2.  It is consistent with the output of print.summary.lm, so users are familiar with this output and its usefulness.

I'm happy to submit a patch that implements this change, if you agree.

Best,
Vangelis