[Rd] Segmentation fault early in compilation of revision 85514

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Nov 14 19:25:38 CET 2023

On 11/14/23 19:19, Joshua Ulrich wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2023 at 12:45 PM Avraham Adler <avraham.adler using gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 13, 2023 at 1:13 AM Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Avi,
>>>
>>> Might be toolchain-dependent, might be options-dependent--it built fine here.
>>> Easier for you to vary option two so maybe try that?
>>>
>>> Dirk
>> Thank you, Dirk.
>>
>> I think it was more a PEBCAK issue. When I deleted the entire trunk
>> folder and started the process from scratch, it compiled properly as
>> per usual. Although this was revision 85520, so perhaps something
>> changed in the interim.
>>
> Are you using a separate build directory, or building in the src/
> directory? The R Installation and Administration manual recommends
> using a separate build directory:
>
>      You do not necessarily have to build R in the top-level source
>      directory (say, TOP_SRCDIR). To build in BUILDDIR, run:
>          cd BUILDDIR
>          TOP_SRCDIR/configure
>          make
>      and so on, as described further below. This has the advantage of
>      always keeping your source tree clean and is particularly
>      recommended when you work with a version of R from Subversion.

Well the compiler shouldn't crash, regardless of whether you do or don't
use a separate build directory. It was probably not your fault. If you
run into that again, it would be great if you could report it to the
compiler developers. It is not so rare to run into compiler bugs and
reporting those is an important service to the open-source community, R
included.

Best
Tomas