[Rd] Problem installing gdb into Rtools42

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jan 18 20:10:22 CET 2023

On 1/18/23 19:41, Dominick Samperi wrote:
> Thanks for the detailed feedback Tomas,
>
> I ran the command 'pacman -Syuu' again, just to be sure, and this time
> it says "there is nothing to do."
>
> It appears that gdb is working. I was spooked by the diagnostics that
> you say is a known (not serious) issue.
>
> My mistake was not setting a breakpoint on main, so I confused
> problems with gdb with problems with the program I'm trying to debug!
I am glad it works now for you. Please don't forget to include debug
info (for R or packages, depending on what you need to debug).

> Incidentally, my remark about mingw-w64 problems in other communities
> alluded to the Haskell development
> community, where an ABI incompatibility was discovered about a year
> ago. It is discussed by Ben Gamari here
> https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/issues/19945.

 From a quick look it seems to be an incompatibility between two
libraries implementing POSIX regular expressions, essentially a name
clash, they just need to make sure to consistently use one of them. It
is not a problem of MinGW-W64.

Tomas