[Rd] Request: documenting more specifically language objects in the R Language Definition document

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Dec 13 12:05:23 CET 2023

On 12/13/23 11:27, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> I doubt if anyone will take you up on this request.  Only R Core
> members can change those manuals, and it's hard work to write clear
> and correct documentation.  This probably won't make it high enough on
> their lists of priorities to actually be addressed.

There is another aspect of this - portable R packages only use
documented behavior of R, relying on that such behavior will not change
unless absolutely necessary. A very hard part of writing/expanding the
official documentation is deciding on what should and what shouldn't be
the stable/documented behavior, and even more so when it is about
fundamental things. It is essential that some behavior stays
undocumented and is not relied on, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to
maintain and improve R.

So if you primarily wanted to get an answer to a specific technical
question about say formulas, it is best to just ask that question,
rather than asking for expanding the documentation.

Tomas