[Rd] RTools 4.2 - possible conflict with git bash

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Dec 23 16:17:04 CET 2022

On 12/23/22 15:45, sergio.vignali using unibe.ch wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It seems that RTools 4.2 conflicts with git bash on Windows 10.

You can't mix tools from two different distributions based on msys2 (or
cygwin). You cannot e.g. call "make" of one of them from a shell ran in
another one. This is due to how cygwin and dynamic loading on Windows
works. Both Rtools42 and git bash are based on msys2.

You need to stick to one of the distributions. For instance, you can use
Rtools42 and install there any msys2 tools you want there, e.g.
including git.

Or, you can have a standalone Msys2 installation and use only toolchain
tarballs from Rtools (requires some set up but is documented). This is
what I usually do as I want to upgrade Rtools often without messing with
my Msys2 installation and vice-versa. One of the Msys2 packages I have
installed there is git.

Tomas