[Rd] Problem with accessibility in R 4.2.0 and 4.2.1.

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Dec 22 09:14:59 CET 2022

Hello Jonathan,

Rgui uses GraphApp as toolbox, but that is part of R source code and
I've included into my summary of changes between 4.2.1 and 4.2.2, and I
couldn't find anything that I think could impact the screen reader on
the Rgui console. The changes in GraphApp are included also in NEWS,
many of the fixes in Rgui are in fact in GraphApp. GraphApp then
directly uses the Windows Graphics Device Interface (GDI). I am not
aware of any such changes even between 4.2.0 and 4.2.1, either. So I
have no clue why differences in screen reader performance were observed.

I've now tried with JAWS as well, the default installation, 40 minute
trial. I did this experiment:

1. start Rgui
2. type "hello"
3. navigate back using left arrow

On R 4.0.5, 4.1.3, 4.2.1, 4.2.2, R-devel with the defaults (so
"partial") cursor, JAWS worked fine and the same in all versions. It
could read the letters back when I was navigating over them. It worked
also with the "full" cursor. I didn't find any difference. I noticed
that JAWS increased the cursor blink rate, which sighted people could
find annoying.

Trying the same with NVDA.  "partial" cursor didn't work with any R
version, the letters could be read when typed, but not when navigated
back. The "full" cursor worked fine in R-devel (so with my recent
fixes). In the released R versions I tested, I could make the "full"
cursor work by switching focus (before step 3) by going to the "Edit"
menu and back, e.g. "Alt+E followed by ESC followed by ESC".

So it looks like my fix wasn't needed for JAWS, but only for NVDA.

Of course my experiment is rather limited, if you or anyone else could
test more scenarios and report any problems with the current R-devel
Rgui (and the "full" cursor), it would be a great help and we can try to
fix those.

Regarding changes that did happen to the R sources in the past, which
clearly could impact the screen reader performance, I see R 2.12.0 has
in NEWS: "The Rgui console now has an optional blinking caret (cursor)
to assist screen readers for the visually impaired." Before this change,
Rgui only used its custom drawn cursor, about which it didn't tell
Windows, and hence Windows couldn't tell the screen readers. After this
change, one could choose also "partial" (default) and "full" cursor.
"partial" included the custom drawn cursor together with the standard
Windows cursor ("caret") Windows knows about. "Full" cursor included
only the standard Windows cursor. This was an addition by Duncan
Murdoch, which allowed the navigation to work. "None" (none blinking)
cursor in R 4.2.2 is like the original custom drawn cursor and neither
NVDA nor JAWS with that can read the characters back when they are
navigated over: they cannot detect the cursor.

I don't see any changes in the implementation of the cursor since the
original Duncan's code for 2.12.0. I fixed some name clashes in 76745 in
June 2019 (so R 4.0.0), but that should be completely benign.

However, what I did see was non-standard behavior of the standard
Windows cursor in Rgui when switching windows, going to menu, starting
Rgui, etc. I've fixed most but not (yet) all of those. It may be that
users have ran into intermittent problems with the screen readers as a
consequence of such actions (sometimes they lead not only to visually
loosing the Windows cursor, but also to the cursor really disappearing
so that Windows didn't know about it anymore). It is well possible that
this also affected JAWS. I know for sure it did affect NVDA, based on
which I did the current fixes.

Best
Tomas