[Statlist] Research Seminar in Statistics | *FRIDAY 17 NOVEMBER 2023* | GSEM, University of Geneva

gsem-support-instituts g@em-@upport-|n@t|tut@ @end|ng |rom un|ge@ch
Tue Nov 14 12:25:33 CET 2023

Dear All,

We are pleased to invite you to our next Research Seminar, organized by Professor Sebastian Engelke on behalf of the Research Center for Statistics
< https://www.unige.ch/gsem/en/research/institutes/rcs/team/ >.

FRIDAY 17 NOVEMBER 2023, at 11:15 am, Uni Mail M 5220 & Online
Zoom research webinar: https://unige.zoom.us/j/92924332087?pwd=U1U1NFk4dTFCRHBMeWYrSDBQcXBiQT09
Meeting ID: 929 2433 2087
Passcode: 399192

Non-Euclidean Statistics Building on Generalized Fréchet Means
Professor Stephan HUCKEMANN, University of Göttingen, Germany
< https://studip.uni-goettingen.de/extern.php?module=TemplatePersondetails&config_id=b9c9db9d8adf76dadf35774d2c91de9f&range_id=2b648cb9a0cf4573c5d4c3d661e6d1df&username=huckeman >

ABSTRACT:
Fréchet extended the concept of the expected value of a random variable in a Euclidean space to the minimizer of expected squared distance on a metric space. If the metric space is a manifold, the concept of covariance or principal compontents generalizes similarly, but slightly less canonically to best approximating geodesics, or best approximating subspaces subject to some restrictions. We introduce such generalized Fréchet means, investigate some of their surprising asymptotic properties and give applications.